Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pink Velvet Cake 2.0

img_2382

I am definitely on the right track. I used Wilton’s gel food coloring. Rose this time, as opposed to the pink I used before. Who knew rose was more of the color I wanted. I decided to go with a completely different recipe than before because I really didn’t like the one before, and once again, I am on the right track. I may have overcooked it and that is why it was dry, but I think it was a tad on the dry side. A little more oil maybe would help. I stuck to the recipe for the most part. I added a little more chocolate to the batter because all the other recipes called for much more than this one. My co-worker gave me this recipe and said that it can’t be messed up. Well I guess she is right, but who knows.

[Printable Recipe]
Ingredients:

½ cup Crisco

1 ½ cup sugar

2 eggs

1tbsp vanilla

5 tbsp red food coloring (I used a big glop of PINK gel)

2 cups flour

1 tsp salt

2 tsp cocoa (I used 1 ½ tbsp)

1 cup buttermilk

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp vinegar


Directions:

Cream together Crisco and sugar

img_2342

Add the eggs, vanilla and food coloring and mix well.

img_2343

Sift flour, salt and cocoa together.

Add alternately with buttermilk

img_2346

Mix vinegar and baking soda together in cup and fold into the batter DO NOT BEAT

Put in greased and floured pans

img_2347

Bake at 350 for 35/45 mins. (I am pretty sure it was like 40 mins.)

Cool on racks

img_2365


The bottoms kind of fell apart... but you can see the pink in them

img_2367


The icing recipe she gave me was easy and when I made it, it looked great. Light and fluffy, but I made it on Saturday and didn’t ice the cake till Sunday. I don’t know if it was because I kept it in the fridge or what, but it got very wet, and was very hard to put on the cake Sunday morning. But it still tasted good, just didn’t look as pretty.


The icing
[Printable Recipe]

Ingredients

¼ cup butter

½ cup Crisco

1 cup sugar

3 tbsp flour

2/3 cup milk

1 tsp vanilla


Directions:

Cream together butter and Crisco

Then add sugar, flour (one at a time) milk and vanilla.

Beat for 10 minutes.

img_2349


Overall, I think this recipe could work, I will be trying it again. Maybe the extra cocoa made it a little dry. Who knows. I decorated it for Mema's birthday and we all pigged out :-D Though with the icing being so thin and wet, I didn't attempt much decorating because I didn't think it would hold.



I <3 mema!
I <3 mema!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me some love! You will see your comment once it is approved!