Monday, March 9, 2009

Baked Ziti

[Printable Recipe]

Yummy ziti and burnt texas toast
Yummy ziti and burnt texas toast

I am taking a friend of mine who just had a baby dinner tomorrow after work, so I decided to make dinner for my family too. I knew I wouldn't feel like making this tomorrow, then driving to PA after work, so I decided to make it tonight. There are a million versions of Baked Ziti out there. Mine is pretty simple, and unfortunately for you (or fortunately) not exact. I tried to measure things, but I just couldn't do it. Sorry.

What you need:

Everything you need
Everything you need

1 lb box ziti

15 oz ricotta cheese

1lb 10 oz spaghetti sauce

2 cup Italian blend cheese shredded

1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded

2 1/2 tbsp Parmesan cheese (not exact measurement but close estimate)

garlic salt to taste

oregano to taste

pepper to taste

1/2 cup hot pasta water

Directions:

Preheat oven 350

boil ziti until tender (I add a little salt to the water)

Drain. (make sure you keep 1/2 cup of pasta water)

In a large bowl, mix sauce, seasonings, ricotta, Parmesan cheese and hot water.

Sauce and seasonings
Sauce and seasonings

Add ziti and mix.

Add 1 cup of Italian blend cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella. Mix well.

Pour into pan.

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese

Over with the rest of the remaining shredded cheese (1 cup Italian blend and 1/2 cup mozzarella)
ziti before baking
ziti before baking

Cover with foil and bake for 40 mins, last 5 mins take foil off and let cheese brown a little. I used the broiler to get it done faster. (Austin was HUNGRY)

YUM!!!
YUM!!!

I made my family's first, and then made my friend's. I had 20 mins left on the timer when I put their dish in the refrigerator. It really isn't hard work at all!!!

You can make this ahead up to 2 days if kept in fridge, 2 months if frozen. Take out of fridge and cook (may need extra couple mins.)If cooking from the freezer, let it thaw first.

The best thing about this meal is you can change it however you wish. I like mine cheesy, but you don't have to have that much cheese, you can use different types of cheese, I have seen many that call for provolone. Dad said that he wouldn't mind meat in it, I personally don't like meat in my ziti. You could add veggies to it. The possibilities are endless.

If you make this for your family, let me know what variation you use!

1 comment:

  1. Gotta have meat for supper! How about smoked sausage sliced on the bias? Yum.

    But the ziti was good anyway

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me some love! You will see your comment once it is approved!