Friday, April 3, 2009

Lemon Bars from scratch


I love lemon bars, made them a lot in college. Always from the box though, Krusteaz or something like it. Well they are expensive, and they only make an 8 x 8 pan. I found a recipe for them that makes 9 x 13 and it is super yummy.


Ingredients:

Crust

1 ½ cups flour

¼ cup sugar

¼ tsp salt

½ cup cold butter, cubed


Preheat the oven to 350.

In a bowl combine flour, sugar and salt.

img_2350


Add COLD butter and with hands combine with dry mixture until you have a crumbly mixture

img_2352 img_2356

Press dough into the bottom of a greased 9 x13 pan

img_2357

Bake for 15 mins



Baked crust
Baked crust

Ingredients:

Filling

¼ cup flour

1 ¼ cup sugar

½ tsp salt

4 eggs

Zest of 2 lemons ( I used 2.5)

Juice of 2 lemons ( I used 2.5)

Powdered sugar for dusting


While crust is cooking, zest and juice the lemons. Combine lemon zest and sugar in a bowl and rub them together so the zest is incorporated into the sugar.

img_2361 img_2362

Wisk in the eggs (I used the wisk attachment on my kitchenaid)

Add the lemon juice then flow and salt.

Pour over hot crust and bake for 20-25 mins until the filling is set and doesn’t jiggle like Jello (weird way to explain it but you will understand, when it is still wiggly it isn’t quite done)

img_2364

Remove from oven, let cool completely, dust with powdered sugar. Cut and eat.

img_2375 The edges got a little dark, but they were yummy anyway


I am thinking that this would work with lime bars as well. We will have to see. Next time limes are on sale and I have free time. I will be trying it, My guess is 3-4 limes would do it.


My personal preference when eating these is to pop them into the microwave for 10 seconds and eat them warm :-D Sigh. So good! Makes me miss college.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me some love! You will see your comment once it is approved!