Sunday, March 1, 2009

Pink Velvet Cupcakes

I have this dream of a wedding cake* that is pink on the inside...but I want a red velvet cake. So I decided to see if it is possible to use pink food coloring instead and get my pink cake. Attempt #1 I used pink gel coloring. The cupcakes are a rose color, pretty but not exactly what I was looking for. Maybe next time I will get neon food coloring drops and try that.

* No I am not engaged... I am just a girl and I think about these things.

Pink Velvet Cake
Pink Velvet Cake

The recipe is as follows

Makes 12 cupcakes

1 - 1/2 cups cake flour (sifted)

2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder ( i used a little more than 2 tbsp)

3/4 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup buttermilk

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 tsp vinegar

PINK gel food coloring (I used the back of a spoon and put in a glob - added more til i got a pink color see picture)


3/4 cup sugar

4 tbsp butter

1 egg, room temp

Preheat oven to 350 and put liners in the cupcake pan

Sift the cake flour first, then sift together the cake flour, baking powder, cocoa and salt into a bowl (not your mixing bowl) The Dry

In another bowl whisk together buttermilk, vanilla and food coloring then put aside.The wet

In the mixer bowl beat sugar and butter until fluffy, about 2 mins on med/high. Add the egg. Once incorporated add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture by alternating.

Fill liners abt 2/3 full. Bake 20-22 mins. Ready to bake

Let cool then frost and decorate.

I used regular butter cream on 6 and the traditional cream cheese icing on the other 6.

The recipe for the cream cheese icing is as follows.

8oz cream cheese, room temp

2 sticks of butter, room temp (1 cup)

1 tsp vanilla extract ( i ran out, only had about 3/4 tsp)

1 lb powdered sugar.

Cream the butter and cream cheese in mixer. Add the vanilla, gradually add powdered sugar. Scrap down the bowl often.

Put into a decorating bag with the star tip (sorry I don't really know technical terms yet :( ) and pipe onto the cupcakes, decorate as you wish.
YUM
YUM

Results: The cake was not the color I was hoping for, and a little on the dry side. I am going to try 4tbsp of oil instead of butter (as seen on Throwdown with Bobby Flay, the challenger said that was her secret to moist red velvet cake) but I wanted something to base the change off of. I was disappointed in my first red velvet attempt. The cake was very dense. Maybe it was the cake flour? or the butter? I don't know. I will try again soon and report back. I will figure out the perfect combination.


Butter cream icing was normal and yummy. Very sweet.


Creamcheese icing : Matt's roommate Kevin said "the cream cheese icing was smooth and rich, without being too sweet. i was a big fan."

1 comment:

  1. They look so pretty! I'm starting to learn how to cook/bake, so I find this little blog pretty neat :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me some love! You will see your comment once it is approved!