Monday, January 25, 2010

Ice Cream Maker

The twins I nanny for gave me the KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker for Christmas. This made my day (and Matt's too) They gave it to me Christmas eve, I washed it and put it in the freezer that night. Sunday after Christmas we made our first batch of ice cream.

I researched on Allrecipes.com for ice cream recipes. There are 2 types of ice cream recipes - ones that use eggs and ones that don't. The thought of making ice cream with 8 egg yolks grossed me out. Plus I wanted something simple.

So 3 Sundays in a row we made ice cream, chocolate twice and then vanilla. The 2nd chocolate was the best, so I will share that one and then I will share the vanilla (which tasted like McDonalds soft serve)

Chocolate Ice Cream:

[Printable Recipe]
Ingredients:
2 c. heavy whipping cream
2 c. half and half
a little less than 1/2 c. cocoa powder
1/2 tbsp vanilla
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Mix all ingredients well, then pour into icecream maker while dasher is spinning. Let run for 30-40 mins (or until you hear the dasher clicking)
 
 
 
Right out of the ice cream maker
 
After a day or 2 in the freezer.


Vanilla

[Printable Recipe]

Ingredients:
3c. Heavy whipping cream
1 c. half and half
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp vanilla

Directions
Mix all ingredients well, then pour into icecream maker, while dasher is spinning, Let run for 30-40 mins (or until you hear the dasher clicking.


This was so yummy, the first time around with the chocolate we used only 1/4 c. cocoa and more vanilla, it wasn't chocolaty enough for me. So I doubled the amt of chocolate and took away some vanilla.

When it first comes out of the ice cream maker, it is the consistency of a Wendy's Blizzard (the first run tasted almost exactly like it) I put it in bowl and let them firm in the freezer. Matt likes to eat the icecream with the leftover candy mixed in.

**As I sat down to write this post Matt declared that he wanted to make strawberry ice cream, so I found a recipe for him and off to the store he went to get the stuff we need. I will post that recipe another time if it is good. I am going to take a video of it with my new flip and attempt to put my first video on my blog!

2 comments:

  1. Man that sounds like fun and deliciousness! Looking forward to the vlog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome post!
    becoming a follower!

    Coming by from Fridayfollow.
    The Buzz,
    Brandy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me some love! You will see your comment once it is approved!