Sunday, November 29, 2009

Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie

[Printable Recipe]


King Arthur Flour sends me emails every so often - to try and get me to buy their products. I never do, but I do check out the recipes they have attached and this one caught my eye! It looked so good I knew it was going to be made for Thanksgiving dinner. I was super happy when my grandmother took me up on my offer to make dessert.

I have never made a pie crust before in my life - I think this turned out ok - it broke a little when I tired to put in the pie plate- but I patched it and it was good to go.

Ingredients:
Crust
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3 tbsp vegetable shortening
  • 5 tbsp cold butter
  • 1 tsp white vinegar
  • 3 tbsp ice water (maybe more)
Directions:
  1. whisk together flour, salt and baking powder
  2. add shortening and let it mix throughout the dry mixture
  3. cut the butter into cubes and roughly work it into the mixture- there may be large chunks
  4. add the vinegar to the bowl and then add 3 tbsp of ICE water. Mix quickly and gently (if using a stand mixer go slow)
  5. Gather some dough in your hand and squeeze - if it sticks together then it is ready, if not add water a tsp at a time
  6. Shape it into a rough disk and put on a floured surface. Roll into a rectangle 8 by 12 inches. Fold it 3 times like a letter. (photo from KingArthurFlour.com)
  7. turn 90 degrees and roll out into another rectangle - fold again like a letter
  8. Fold in half and cover with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for at lest 30 mins - up to 24 hours.
Filling

  • 2 eggs room temp
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. butter melted and cooled
  • 2 tsp vanilla*
  • 1 1/3 c. semisweet chocolate chips**
  • 2/3 c. chopped pecans
* The original recipe calls for 1/2 tsp vanilla-butternut. pralines and cream or butter rum flavors - I didn't have any of these so it said to sub the vanilla
** This was SO SO SO rich - next time I will only use about 3/4 c. of choc chips.

  1. Beat eggs, sugar and salt for about 2 mins at high speed - they will be thick and light colored.
  2. Stir in four, melted butter and flavoring. Then add chocolate and pecans.
Assembly
  1. Remove dough from refrigerator and allow to warm up for about 15 mins.
  2. Preheat oven 375 degrees
  3. Roll dough out into a 12 to 13 inch circle
  4. Transfer to pie plate, trim edges and use to patch the dough if needed. Put a little crimp on the dough. I sucked at this but I tried.
  5. Pour the filling into the pie crust, then put pecans on top for decoration
  6. Bake for 30 mins uncovered then tent with foil and bake for another 10-15 mins until crust and top are golden brown.
  7. Remove from oven and let cool so that it can set.

This was very good, but very rich so we cut the pieces small.

** Sorry for the pictures being all over the place - I am still learning blogger and the 1 thing that I liked about wordpress was how easy it was to add images , I will figure it out soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me some love! You will see your comment once it is approved!