Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Girls Night Dessert Pizza


I love apple pie and this recipe seemed similar. I tried making this for my family on family dinner night, and I messed it up. I wanted to give it another try. I decided to use a pizza pie pan instead of the 9x13 it called for since it was for a pizza themed girls night. Some of the pictures are from the first attempt. (for the record - I was in a hurry the first time and messed up the streusel topping - I used way too much flour- mom said it tasted ok but I wanted to do it right)

I found a recipe for apple crumble bars on the blog Dessert First. It really wasn't hard to make, I just needed to take my time. 2nd time around was much better.

Ingredients:

Filling

3 tart apples

3 tbsp softened butter

3/4 cup sugar

2 tbsp lemon juice

2 tbsp flour

1 tsp cinnamon

Crust

2 c. flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

6 tbsp softened butter

3/4 c. brown sugar

1 egg - room temp

Streusel

1/2 c. sugar

2/3 cup + 2 tbsp flour

1/8 tsp salt

6 tbsp cold butter cubed

Directions

Peel, core and dice the apples into cubes about 1/2 inch.

IMG_3166

Make the filling first by melting butter in a pan over med heat. Saute apples until they are semi soft.

softened apples
softened apples

Add the sugar, lemon juice, flour and cinnamon to apples and stir. Cook until the mixture bubbles then turn down heat to low and let cook for another 3 mins. Keep stirring.

IMG_3172

Put in a bowl to cool while you make the crust.

To make the crust line your pan with foil and spray with pam.

Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.

In separate bowl cream butter sugar until fluffy.

Add egg and let combine

Add flour mixture and combine.

IMG_3183

Pour dough in pan and press into pan and up sides 1/4 inch or so

IMG_3241

Make the streusel by combining sugar, flour and salt. Add the cubed butter and mix until crumbly and butter is really small. I used a pastry blender .

The first time around - with pecans and too much flourThe first time around - with pecans and too much flour

Spread filling over dough and then sprinkle streusel topping over the filling

first time around in a 9x13
first time around in a 9x13

IMG_3245

Bake 350 degrees for 35-40 mins until golden

IMG_3248

Serve cooled or warm - I prefer warm.

This was very good I really enjoyed it. I took some to the David and Meredith ( who I work for) and I am pretty sure David ate some for breakfast Monday am. :-D Very good!

1 comment:

  1. This looks so yummy! I am going to follow your blog!

    Best wishes,

    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me some love! You will see your comment once it is approved!