Saturday, June 6, 2009

Soccer Cookie Cake

One of my favorite school age kids from the Bee was my director's daughter. She spent many afternoons in my classroom playing with the babies and hiding from her brother.


Her mom asked me to make her 12th birthday cake, and I was happy to do so. We talked about what she wanted, and Dawn told me she would want a cookie cake and she likes soccer, so a soccer cookie cake seemed perfect.


I was planning the cake this week and I discovered one thing, I still stink a geometry. I tried to hand draw it, but it just didn't work out. It looked deformed. So I found a picture on the Internet I liked, blew it up on the printer and used it a guide. I decided to try a new technique to use piping gel to transfer the lines on the cake. It worked, but I missed one step that may have made it a little easier.


All in all I am very happy with this cake, I can't wait to see Nicki's face.



the cookie cake
the cookie cake

The guide
The guide

piping gel untinted
piping gel untinted

tinted pink
tinted pink

tracing the guide
tracing the guide

Here is where I missed the step, I think I should have used Pam on the wax paper to make the gel come off a little better, but things worked out.



ready to put on the cake
ready to put on the cake



rubbing the gel on the cake
rubbing the gel on the cake



the outline in gel
the outline in gel

filling in the pentagons
filling in the pentagons

filled in and smoothed out
filled in and smoothed out

filled in cake
filled in cake

Then I put it in the fridge and let the icing harden so I could smooth it out and make it look nicer, then I re-outlined the lines, added a border and wrote on it. My writing still needs practice, but I will get there. I did the border first so it was harder to write, I know better, I am dumb.





smoothed and outlined
smoothed and outlined

IMG_2675





finished soccer cookie cake
finished soccer cookie cake

I was surprised how quickly this cake came together, the outlining and filling in took about an hour ( I watched the Brian Williams thing on NBC of the White House) Finishing it took about 30 mins - smoothing, re-outlining, border and writing. I really like the cake. It is really cute.



I have to show you how I work. Since my kitchenaid mixer is at Matt's apartment I do all my work here. The kitchen has these spot lights that make the kitchen so HOT it makes the icing really hard to work with, so I don't work in there. The dining room table is too high to work, so I use the coffee table, it is perfect height to sit and work. I took picture of the mess I make of the living room. I can't wait til the new place :-D




taking over
taking over

I promise it is sanitary and clean
I promise it is sanitary and clean

Matt played Mario Kart while I worked
Matt played Mario Kart while I worked


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me some love! You will see your comment once it is approved!